Wherein Frank retcons a bunch of BS while Chris admits he loves "adding value" as a manager.
Refactored #034: “Parallel Career Tracks”
On this episode of Refactored…
- Franks company has built a new Parallel Track Ladder: and spoiler alert, there are NO numbers (e.g. “Developer I,” “Developer II,” etc.)
- The guys discuss skills transferrability between individual contribution and management. Are they the same? How much overlap is there?
- Chris wants to assess his employees on their ability to fashion improvised weapons.
- Frank claims that employees are NOT stupid. What an idiot, amirite?
- M&A (Mergers and Acquisitions) always cause a lot of turnover. This is documented fact.
- Transparency and intentionality are key in growing a team.
- Frank says you should build a career ladder if your team is anything over about 20 people.
- Chris piles on that you should publish an org chart around that threshhold also.
- Radical transparency - is this a good idea? Check out the GitLab Handbook.
- Most people agree that Stack Ranking is awful.
- … and much more!
Don’t be shy! Reach out at email@example.com.
Visit https://refactored.work/ for the full archive, show notes, and more. Hosted by Chris Tonkinson and Frank Koehl.
Direct link to RSS feed