Wherein the guys leave a pair of shoes in the vent for John McClain on Christmas Eve.
published Feb 22, 2022
Refactored #058: “Meeting Complexity”
On this episode of Refactored…
- The guys play Zoom Bingo: “I’m sorry, can you repeat that? ”
- Parkinson’s Law enters the chat because “work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.”
- Frank makes a case for keeping meetings really tight. Tight in which dimensions? Glad you asked:
- Number of functional areas represented by attendees
- Number of topics for discussion
- Number of total participants
- The guys invent the Flaming Cat Index (or FCI), which is the product of multiplying the numbers of participants, topics, and departments for a given meeting.
- Frank flexes with a timely admission that his default meeting duration setting is 30 minutes.
- The guys agree on nomenclature for team member personas:
- Little Jimmy — the new entry-level developer
- Big James — seasoned professional; lead/architect/etc.
- Aldrich Blankenship — WASPy mustachioed executive with an underbite
- Q: How transparent should you be about discipline and terminations? A: As much as possible, and no more.
- The (unofficial) pick of the week is the Trifecta of Christmas Glory: Die Hard, Home Alone, and Christmas Vacation.
- … and much more!
Don’t be shy! Reach out at email@example.com.
Visit https://refactored.work/ for the full archive, show notes, and more. Hosted by Chris Tonkinson and Frank Koehl.
Direct link to RSS feed